What To Do After You’ve Been In A Car Accident
At TJC • ESQ, we have helped countless families throughout Connecticut receive the compensation they deserve when they have been hurt due to another driver’s negligence or careless act. Our attorneys have fought for the rights of car accident victims when at-fault drivers and insurance companies refuse to provide a fair settlement for severe and fatal injuries.
Preparation is critical, which is why we are sharing these post-collision recommendations with you: We want to maximize the recovery you receive after a car accident. Whether you have a teen driver at home or are making plans for yourself, it is wise to develop a strategy before you need to implement it. Taking the time today to learn the appropriate steps to follow can help you avoid costly mistakes and build a strong insurance claim if the need arises.
6 Important Steps To Take Immediately After A Crash
- Move your vehicle to a safe location near the crash site and verify that all involved are safe.
- Use the camera in your cellphone to document all crime scene evidence, including personal injuries, auto body damage, street signs or traffic signals, skid marks or other property damages.
- Contact the police to ensure that your accident report is completed correctly. This document can be used to support your accident claim should the at-fault driver change his or her mind in the future.
- Exchange and record insurance information to streamline the filing process.
- Interview any witnesses if they are available. It is smart to record their observations right after the accident when their memories are still fresh, and be sure to get names and contact information.
- Visit a doctor soon after your crash. You may not feel any ill-effects of your accident; however, doctors are trained to identify symptoms associated with soft tissue injuries, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and other conditions that may be directly related to your claim. Insurance companies make it difficult to receive a fair payout for injuries if you are unable to prove a link between a car wreck and your injuries. Getting a medical report can go a long way toward building a strong claim. The single most common mistake people make after an accident is failing to follow up with needed medical care. “It’s not that bad” and “I’ll be okay” are the common and understandable reasons people don’t get the care they need. The problem is that if injuries or symptoms persist months later, the insurance company will use the fact that you tried to tough it out to suggest there was no real injury in the first place. Let a doctor tell you it’s OK, and follow up with your doctor’s recommendations — that is the best advice, plain and simple.
Before you reach out to your insurance company, you should contact an attorney. Insurance adjusters and representatives are dedicated to promoting their company’s best interests, not yours. Whether you are filing an uninsured motorist claim or filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, you need an advocate on your side.
Our personal injury lawyers at TJC • ESQ have over three decades’ experience representing accident victims and their loved ones. When insurance companies offer lowball settlement offers or create hurdles to prevent our clients from receiving just compensation, we do not back down.
You can rely on us to tirelessly defend your claim from day one.
Do You Have Questions About A Car Accident Claim? Contact Us Today.
We offer no-cost, confidential consultations to all accident victims. Please arrange your appointment with a skilled legal professional by completing our online contact form, or by calling or texting us at 203-433-5129.
Our firm’s offices are conveniently located in Shelton.